Friday, June 13, 2008

Moral Neutrality

My question, dear friends, is twofold: can to much of a morally neutral thing be eternally bad; and are there morally neutral things in your personal life that Christ is asking you to get rid of, or remove - things he just wants out, even though there is nothing evil about it?

Do we want to be "doing alright," or do we desire to have a deeper knowledge, love, hope - downright solid, relationship with Christ?

As I have thought about this whole morally neutral idea, I think of how much time I have spent not glorifying G-d through being a good steward of my time. I tend to get sucked into doing good things, but not necessarily the right things. For example, I have a test to study for, but I also have dinner with my family, and a prayer meeting with my brothers and sisters in Christ(the Church). I have many different statues: I know I am a student, and a son, and a part of the Church, and a Christian; but what comes first? Which one does G-d honor more? Or, does he not honor any one more than then next? Is he more concerned about how I approach these things? Another question I need to ask my self is this: what am I doing with the rest of my time? Am I spending a lot of time looking at videos on Youtube, listening to music, watching TV, blogging? Is the time I spend Making cakes, taking a shower, driving, combing my hair... are all things things morally neutral? I am sort of rambling and venting and truly questioning!!! In the gospels, Jesus tells people who approach him and want to know how to inter the Kingdom, or have eternal life, to sell all their possesions, give the money to the poor and follow him. He also tells his diciples when they go out to spread the good news in other cities to not take anything and to trust in G-d to provide for all their needs. Man, These are tough statements.
I think what I have been learning with Journey in reading through Matthew about doing things with the right heart-attitude is super important! I think that I need to begin to look at each situation, evaluate it and give thanks to our Father for where I am what I am doing and ask him to guide me, to open my heart-eyes to see how I can best serve him, where I am. For me personally, I do spend a lot of waisted time doing things that would take other people a lot less time. Maybe it is that I am just really slow at it, but I think I let myself become distracted, I give into the temptation of watching another Youtube video, I sit on Facebook and look at pictures of my friends for hours... Even now I think I don't have a good perspective on what is most important in my life. It is G-d, Who I need to be focused on, his will, his purpose. I think Colossians 3 really gets at what we should be living like: set our heart and minds on Christ; get rid of the our earthly nature; clothe our selves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; live at peace with everyone, and "Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to G-d the Father through him (Col. 3:23)."; however, I don't think I live this way... therefore, I don't live fully for Christ.
I believe that when anything gets in the way of seeing G-d's salvation we loose out! I am convicted to get into the Living Word, to spend more time in self examination and in prayer... I try to do things on my own way to often... I miss out on the beauty of serving G-d when I do that!
I think we all need to be the most encouraging brothers we possibly can be!

May we all persevere in this: living fully in a deep love with Christ and each other!

Peace and Love in Christ!

No comments: